Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.
Psalm 63:3

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Santa Maria

My laptop's back...hence the photo heavy posts.

How are you going to celebrate Columbus Day? Did you know that there is a replica of one of Columbus' ships right here in central Ohio...of course, you did.

I had never been and since we've been reading about the New World explorers {the height of controversy, I know} I could see a field trip coming together. By the by, The Story of the World: Vol. 2, (Bauer) covers all the explorers {as far as I know}: Leif Erikson, Columbus, Vespucci, Sir Walter Raleigh {props to the folks in NC!} and the Jamestown settlement, and certainly the recognition of aboriginal people who had been here long before with their own rich, but a bit more mysterious history.




Anywho, I talked Sweet Man into a day trip and we invited a few homeschooled cousins to come along for the ride. I had a blast...I hope the rest did. The tour was good...although I don't think the tour guide was enjoying himself so much. We learned so much about life on a ship in the 15th century...not fun, I assure you, but impressive. Thanks, Ferdinand and Ysabella!

And in travel news: Sweet Man has received an assignment in Illinois. He was supposed to leave next Monday, but the trip has been moved up and he departs this Wednesday. Bummer...since we had big plans this weekend and I don't think I can pull it off as a single momma. Another time, perhaps.... 

I am excited to hit the road and travel about 6 hours away. We'll be staying in a lovely place and I think we'll be close enough to come back home, here and there. 

No comments: