Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.
Psalm 63:3

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

North America

Not officially being on the road, we received an intriguing exploration offer last week. 

My Aunt Mary Ann has worked at a private Montessori school in town for 25+ years. For a long time she administrated the preschool and now teaches the primary class.  I had the opportunity to work with her doing after school care there while I was in college. Truth be told, she trained me in many of my first jobs...at our family swimming pool as a snack bar worker, as an office clerk, and as a lifeguard. I owe lots of my work ethic to her...{not that you would know much about my work ethic in my current...position.}  

The school is such a neat place and develops individuals for life-long learning. {Montessori and Classical education {the educational philosophy we use} have some similarities ie: the multi-age, ungraded classroom and the study of history vs. social studies.}

Each year, the school creates an environment that focuses on a continent. Each class takes responsibility for a region or era in the continent's history and develops a way to experience part of that culture or history with an interactive display. And she invited us to come and experience it. 

the girls grinding corn

Bug inside a pueblo

drum circle by our hosts


a ride in the Model T

This year's focus was North America. The display included a "Detroit" motorworks with assembly line, a Plains Indians area, a civil war encampment, a pioneer homestead, a Pueblo Indian dwelling, and an exhibit displaying the traditional art of Huichol people from the Mexican mountains. The display was open to invited visitors, but the best part was watching classes spend their free play times experiencing what they had worked so very hard to build. Very cool.


No comments: