Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.
Psalm 63:3

Friday, February 11, 2011

History-makers


First things first...before I tell you about our day...as I type, I snack on rice cakes + nutella. Glory be, because, let's face it, rice cakes are really just a useful delivery system. I should cut out the middleman and lick the spoon, but that would be so over-the-top indulgent...surely, I wouldn't do that. {You're judging me, aren't you?} Go ahead and ask...how's that limiting sugar, carbs, & caffeine going, Ame? I'm still on the wagon so to speak...limiting not prohibiting.

Okay, back to the post and our history lesson for the week. 

While serving as Illinois' governor, Abraham Lincoln was elected president and delivered this speech from the Springfield, Illinois train station Feb. 11, 1861 {the day before his birthday, no less} before he departed on his historic whistle stop tour to the White House.

My friends - No one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of that Divine Being, who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him, who can go with me, and remain with you and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To his care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell.

This morning, we joined in the celebration of the 150th anniversary of this speech. People in nine states and D. C. gathered at significant sites to participate in the simultaneous reading, hoping to beat the current record holding from Dec. 13, 2006 of 223,363 people reading a passage from Charlotte's Web.

In Illinois, there were several participating sites. Bloomington is home to the honorable David Davis, U. S. Supreme Court Judge {1862-1877.} Interested in him? Go here. He was a political contemporary and trusted friend of Lincoln. Because Davis had an important personal Lincoln connection, his home was one of these sites. We chose to drive about 3 minutes down the way where we found this beautiful antebellum mansion and several people gathered to participate in breaking the world-record.

At 10:45am, we all began reading together, repeating it 4 times to ensure the reading lasted 5 minutes. It was very cool...powerful words gave me the chills. My chills had chills as we toured the stunning house. Marble sinks and fireplaces in each room, gorgeous curved and painted plaster ceilings, restored furnishings...I'm a sucker for all that stuff. Alas, I wasn't allowed to take pictures.

Official numbers for the simultaneous reading will not be confirmed for a few weeks...updated here.

So, after my Tuesday tantrum, this has turned into a banner week...kiddos took a homeschool class on the human body at the Children's Museum yesterday, we had our historical adventure today, and tomorrow Bean and I are going to a Pinkalicious party at a bookstore. 

Gotta go...Sweet Man has has some important job news for me. Happy weekend!





No comments: