Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.
Psalm 63:3

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Crafty



I was inspired recently by my fave SouleMama to make a "Princess and the Pea" diorama. Not because Bean loves the story (although I hope she will soon) but because I was excited by the idea of bringing a story to life. Yeah, it's all about me. AND...to craft a playset that Bean may enjoy. I took a children's literature course where we had to do the very same thing...choose a story and gather/craft props to tell the story...really fun.

I even got Grandpa J involved when I asked him to build a bed frame...I asked one evening. The next day we had plans away from the house and when we arrived home, it was finished...and the project was off and running. I found 1/2" foam at a Ben Franklin store. And for a few weeks, I have been gathering fabric: some from my small stash that didn't get "selled away," some from thrift store sheets, and some from store remnants. Bean helped me guide the fabric through the sewing machine. After a couple hours of cutting and sewing, here it is:


I only made 10 mattresses instead of the story's 12 or 20 (in different versions)...come on...literary license, right? The top floral fabric and the striped floral are both from my Granny's fabric stash...love that even though they never got to meet, they can have a little connection. The pea is a green marble I found in Grandma J's toys. The quilt is a $.59 wall hanging from Goodwill. And I bought her a Barbie...ugh...at three. Still not sure if I'm ready for that...her name is Anabella Cinderella princess. I could have sewn a doll...maybe later. Anyway, she fits in the bed.

So far, I've played with it more than she has. Fun.

No comments: