Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.
Psalm 63:3

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

God's Half Acre



Whew - we have had a day! Faced with a whole day without Sweet Man and no chance to go outside, I had an agenda of  pudding painting and a movie planned in my head. And I was worried about "Josephine Jumping Bean" thudding our way right out of this apartment - we are on the 3rd floor and all my scolding does not keep her feet on the ground. It was supposed to storm all day, but when it was 10:30 and there was not a cloud in the sky, I decided to chance it. 

My friend (see prior post) and I set out to explore - first destination - the Farmer's Market in Katy - about 30 minutes away. It takes me by surprise that I am even motivated to venture into the unknown surroundings with my kids. If I were here without kids, it might be different. When I lived North Carolina, I was fairly timid - so much so that I only made a few friends in the year that I lived there. But with these young ones, I don't want them to sit in a suburban apartment day after day. We need to get out and run and explore and spare our poor downstairs neighbor trying to enjoy a Saturday at home.

So, the Farmer's Market was small - and sort of posh, not like most Farmer's Markets I've seen. But it was in the plaza of an affluent outdoor shopping center - think Easton, but smaller. We found some bargains - oranges grown mere miles from our apartment and fresh eggs. We strolled through a few stores and spent a little money in Eddie Bauer, boring and sensible. I even bought the kids ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery - ugh - passing on the bad habits - but I am happy to report that I didn't eat any.

I wanted to find a park for them to use their new scooters and wasn't sure where the closest one was so I headed toward home. My friend had told me about Brazos Bend State Park (there is a Rio de los Brazos de Dios = River of the Arms of God.) Yay - I started seeing signs for it!!! And I followed them!!! And 20 min. later we pulled in to this lovely place. Lots of hiking, horseback riding, fishing, camping to be had - and a playground. Perfect!!!

1 comment:

Molly said...

You are courageous and brave. I'm so proud of you.